Heartgard Plus for Dogs
Heartgard Plus is a tasty beef-flavored chewable that prevents heartworms and controls various intestinal worm infections. Its powerful formula eliminates immature stages of heartworms from the bloodstream of animal and thus prevents heartworm infection. Its efficacy is also known for treating infections caused by roundworms and hookworms. Also, the product has a highly palatable taste which is mostly preferred by dogs.
Heartgard Plus contains two active ingredients Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate. Ivermectin acts as a broad spectrum antiparasitic treatment that prevents heartworm infection, whereas, Pyrantel Pamoate eliminates hookworms and roundworms.
Note: Due to Boehringer Ingelheim’s acquisition of Merial Animal Health, the product packs may have varied manufacturer’s name according to the available stock.
Ivermectin and Pyrantel
Merial / Boehringer Ingelheim
- Prevents heartworm disease
- Protects dogs against roundworm and hookworm infections
- Has a palatable beef flavor
- Safe for pregnant or breeding dogs
- Before administering this treatment get your pet checked for heartworms.
- If the dog is not infected with heartworms, select the appropriate package of Heartgard plus as per the weight of the dog.
- Administer the chewable on the same day of every month.
- The chew can be broken, crumbled and mixed with food.
- Test the dog for heartworms before starting the treatment.
- Ensure that the dog chews the tablet instead of swallowing it.
- The treatment must be continued throughout the year for complete protection.
- Do not skip the dosage as the dog can catch the infection again.
- Store in a cool and dark place.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling the product.
- Do not use it on dogs under 6 weeks of age.
- Collies and other breeds have a genetic intolerance to Ivermectin, hence, pet parents must look for other options to Ivermectin for treating their dogs.